ElectroBraid® Horse Fence Checkered
ElectroBraid® is a permanent electric fence designed especially for horses. It serves not only as a physical barrier, but also a psychological deterrent that keeps horses away from the fence, preventing horses from leaning or chewing on the fence. You can install ElectroBraid® with wood fence posts or T-posts, or as a complement to vinyl fences. ElectroBraid® is SAFE, SECURE and SIMPLE.
- Provides a psychological deterrent as well as a physical barrier
- Durable, resilient and backed by an exclusive 25-year warranty
- The horse fence most recommended by veterinarians for safety
- Higher-quality construction with solid copper for more reliable conductivity
- Simpler and less expensive to install compared to traditional wood or vinyl fencing
What is ElectroBraid®?
ElectroBraid® looks like high-quality braided yachting rope measuring ¼ inch in diameter. Though soft to the touch, a double helix of copper wire conductors is braided into the outer jacket of the rope to conduct electricity. By attaching 3 or 4 strands of Braid™ to insulators and fence posts spaced 30 to 50 feet apart, you have an attractive, effective fence that is less costly to install and maintain. Fence posts can be wood, vinyl or steel, and ElectroBraid® is available in white, black or black/white checkered.
How is ElectroBraid® both a physical barrier and a psychological system?
- Physical barrier. Unlike rigid fences, ElectroBraid® is forgiving. ElectroBraid® has the resilience and the strength to resist the impact of a stallion. It just stretches, and then springs back, “bouncing” the horse back into the enclosed area, much like what happens in a boxing ring.
- Psychological Deterrent. Horses respect the electric shock delivered by the ElectroBraid® system and will not go near the fence once shocked. While harmless, the brief shock is painful and deters horses from wanting to jump over, rub against, or chew on the fence.
Why is ElectroBraid® considered to be the safest, most secure horse fence?
The most frequent cause of serious horse injuries is collision with a rigid fence. The ElectroBraid® system was designed to minimize this danger. As a result, ElectroBraid® is the most recommended horse fence for safety by veterinarians.
- No impact injuries
- No sharp points, hard edges, or wires that can cut or puncture
- Specially engineered to break if a horse gets caught around one ElectroBraid® strand
How durable is ElectroBraid®?
ElectroBraid® fencing lasts for decades and is covered by an exclusive 25-year warranty. It’s the best warranty in the business. No other electric fence manufacturer offers it! ElectroBraid® will not rust, rot, lose strength due to sunlight or weathering, break when installed as a permanent fence or prove defective in workmanship or material. So, what’s the key to ElectroBraid® durability? High-quality materials. Quality costs a little more, but saves money in the long run with better performance and longer life.
- High-grade polyester fiber. ElectroBraid® features the same polyester fiber used in automotive seat belts and parachute harnesses to assure reliability. Polyester resists attacks by ultra-violet light, salt, manure and most farm chemicals.
- Solid copper—another ElectroBraid® exclusive. Copper does not rust. It develops an oxidized outer coating called a "patina" that protects the copper wire from corrosion.
Why is ElectroBraid better than standard wood, vinyl or pipe/cable fencing?
ElectroBraid® can be self-installed with hand-tools, by almost anyone….like stringing clothes line. A professional fence installer is not required. The Braid costs 16 to 18 cents a foot. Fence posts can be set 30 to 50 feet apart depending on terrain and local snow conditions. By contrast, conventional horse fences require a post every 8 or 10 feet. To relocate your ElectroBraid® fence, you don't need a contractor.
- Simpler to install. Traditional horse fencing requires fence posts every 8 to 10 feet. It is a labor-intensive process that typically requires several people and multiple days. With ElectroBraid® fencing, you can set posts 30 to 50 feet apart, depending on terrain. ElectroBraid® is easy for almost anyone to install with hand tools—like stringing a clothesline. A professional fence installer is not required.
- Less restrictive. Rigid fences can make it difficult for horses to see you or each other. By contrast, ElectroBraid® allows horses to easily see one another from adjoining paddocks, allowing them to relax and be the social herd animals they are.
- Less expensive. ElectroBraid® costs less than 20 cents a foot and requires far fewer posts.
- Less maintenance. Wood fencing dries and splinters. ElectroBraid® fencing lasts for decades and carries a 25-year Performance Warranty. It will not rust, rot or lose strength due to sunlight or weathering.
Why is ElectroBraid® better than other electric horse fence?
- Highly visible. Traditional electric cattle fencing uses small-diameter steel wires which are difficult for horses to see. The ropes of ElectroBraid® are easy for horses to see.
- Absorbs impact. ElectroBraid® can absorb the energy of a panicked horse and will typically bounce the horse back into its pasture with no harm to horse or fence..
- More conductive. ElectroBraid® fence uses copper, which carries electricity four times faster than the steel used in other electric fencing.
- More durable and requires less maintenance.
- Stranded electric rope "unravels" under tension and needs constant tightening. By contrast, ElectroBraid® is dimensionally stable because of its braided-over-inner-core construction. Provided it is properly tensioned when installed, the Braid™ will maintain its tautness with only occasional re-tensioning.
- Woven electrical horse tape contains parallel electrical conductors. These wires take much of the strain and tension, and tend to break under windy conditions. By contrast the copper wire conductors in ElectroBraid® are formed in helical coils like springs. This allows bend and stretch. All tension is taken by the fiber strands. The copper wires do not break under tension.
- Electric polywire is lightweight and small diameter. It breaks easily and can cut horse flesh like a knife.
- Conventional high tensile wire (HTW) works well for cattle but not for horses. Unlike cattle, horses are excitable, high-strung animals. Horses often don't see the steel fence wires. The wires can break under impact and wrap and cut and puncture flesh.
How can ElectroBraid® protect an existing fence?
Mount ElectroBraid® as a single strand on top of almost any fence. The psychological deterrence to horses is dramatic. Dell Hendricks, Top 10 Reigning Champion, had a stallion that regularly jumped his pipe and cable fence to impregnate a neighbor's mares. When a single strand of ElectroBraid® was added, the stallion never jumped the fence again. NOTE: DO NOT to use high tensile wire or cheap polywire—they are both unsafe for horses.
Is the electric shock harmless?
The electric shock from a UL- or CSA-approved fence energizer is completely harmless. The shock is extremely low amperage for 3/10,000 of a second, once a second, but it is an immediate, unpleasant psychological deterrent. Once shocked, neither you, nor your horse, want to touch the fence again.
How can an electric shock be painful to a stallion but not harmful to a baby horse?
The brief electric shock causes a painful muscle contraction but there is not enough current to harm your physiology, heart or nervous system.
How do horses react to ElectroBraid®?
"Horses love ElectroBraid®!" our customers tell us. Horses are herd animals, born to roam free in wide open spaces. With ElectroBraid® fence, all the horses can see each other and stallions can see their mares. There are no places for predators to hide. Horses don't pace up and down their fence line. Owners say horses are more relaxed. They can see you and you can see them!
What about predators?
Consumers indicate that ElectroBraid® systems are effective in excluding predators – including dogs and coyotes.
Why is maintenance cost low?
The components of the ElectroBraid® system are of extremely high quality. Occasionally an insulator might break and need replacement, but little else will need repair. Brass and copper components won't corrode. If a tree or branch falls on the fence, cut it off and ElectroBraid® should spring right back. ElectroBraid® is seldom if ever damaged by storms, including ice storms. ElectroBraid® even stands up to lightning strikes remarkably well. The double helix of copper in ElectroBraid® functions in the same manner as a lightning arrestor, often preventing damage to the energizer.
What maintenance is required?
Walk the fence line to confirm your fence has not been damaged. Check the voltage regularly. Mow weeds from under your fence as needed. In the spring, make sure no fence posts have heaved due to frost.
How many ElectroBraid® Reels do I need?
Multiply the length of your fence by the number of strands you wish to use, and then divide by the length of reel you will be purchasing. This is the number of reels you will need. For additional fence planning assistance, please click here (www.zarebasystems.com/learning-center/all-about/electrobraid/fence-planning) or call 855-EBFENCE.
ElectroBraid® is Americas #1 Horse Fence - Safe, Secure and Simple to install
ElectroBraid® Braid will not rust, rot, lose strength due to sunlight or weathering, break when installed as a permanent fence or prove defective in workmanship or material. Any reel of ElectroBraid® Braid that is defective will be replaced at no charge to the purchaser.
This warranty is in effect for 25 years from the date of purchase.